Thursday, October 8, 2009

College Night

Last night was college night at Schoolcraft, and I was actually able to attend even though I had a class because my teacher let us out about an hour early. It was jam packed, full of people of every age looking for information. There were probable 80+ colleges there from all over the US with representatives waiting to answer your questions about their University or College. I thought it was a pretty neat setup, an easier way to get the info you need rather than making an individual appointment, at least for primary questions. I talked to U of M Dearborn, Davenport Univ, Oakland University, and Eastern Michigan. I was kind of bummed because the only school that had a speech pathology program was Eastern. I wasn't bummed about it being Eastern, but I would've liked a bit more diversity so I could've chosen one instead of being told, okay, Eastern, that's where it's at. That or Michigan State has a program but I'm not going away. Eastern is in Ypsi and if one of the managers at Jimmy John's can drive here everyday from there, then I can commute to my classes. It's pretty cool because Mae and I will be going there for the same thing, so we can hopefully schedule our classes together and take turns driving out there.

So, while it was a somewhat disappointing night, finding out that almost all of the colleges I was looking at don't have my program or major, it was also very informative and I'm really glad I went. I got some info on campus tours, which I want to take, and just their regular packet of info, and a Macrao transfer guide. There are still a ton more classes at Schoolcraft that I can take that are hopefully transferable, because the representative said I will be at Eastern for 2-5 years and I should take advantage of Schoolcraft's classes as much as I can.

I'm very anxious about all of this, because going to Eastern will be a huge change from what I'm used to now. It will be more money, the work will most likely be harder, and it'll take a lot of time. I will have to actually buckle down and stop fooling around because I'm sure those classes won't come easily. Speech pathology is an entry level Master's degree. A MASTER'S DEGREE. That is unfathomable to me, that I, me, Amber, could do something like go to college and get a master's degree in something that I know I will love to do and be happy doing. Can I do it?

So while I am anxious about the money aspect, and the unbelievable amount of work and effort it will take, and the fact that it's a Master's, I am also happy and content about it. For the first time in my entire life, I'm not sitting here with a giant question mark over my head. I've never been able to see my future, at all, and I've been worried that I will never figure it out. So to have the basis of a plan, a plan that will make me happy in the long run, is an extremely awesome thing for me.

No comments: