Tuesday, November 17, 2009

"Twilight" Rant

Okay, unless you live under a rock, and I know that nobody who potentially reads this does, you've heard of the Twilight saga-a collection of four novels that, boiled down, are about a teenage girl who falls in love with a vampire. Along the way there are obstacles thrown in their path of being together, such as werewolves, other vampires, so on and so forth. Stephanie Meyer basically took the eternal idea of Romeo and Juliet and tossed in a teenage girl and a vampire. And what amounts to thousands of pages of absolutely horrendous writing.

Those who know me, know that I read all the time. I consume books like they're going out of style, and I pride myself on the ability to give just about anything a chance. I'm also extremely picky and opinionated when it comes to books, so judge me. That being said, I gave Twilight a fair chance. I read the book, and saw the movie [opening day, too]. Having given it a fair chance, I have to assert my opinion and say that it was the worst piece of trash that I've ever had the misfortune of reading. Page after page after page of dull, uninteresting drivel. By the end of the first chapter, I felt the need to run Bella over with my car. The fact that she survived four books in a series sometimes keeps me awake at night. Edward, while at times very charming and having the potential to be adorable, is also an intense creeper. When you find out that a guy, vampire or not, has been sneaking into your room while you sleep and watching you, you call the cops. You don't blush and fawn all over him. At least not in the land I come from...

It felt like reading someone's unbelievably boring diary, with a little bit of interesting parts tossed in when a vampire's there. The most exciting parts of the book and the movie were when Bella almost died at the end. Spoiler alert: She doesn't die. I apologize. This all being said, the fangirls for the Twilight saga are starting to SERIOUSLY PISS ME OFF. I have rage issues, quite clearly, and if I hear one more person squee over the fact that New Moon comes out in three days, or see one more status update on FB about it, or see one more shirt that says TEAM EDWARD or TEAM JACOB on it, I will throw up and my head will spin around.

The fangirls for Harry Potter were no where NEAR this bad. Because now it's not just kids aged 11-19 freaking out about it. The Twilight saga seems to have become the literary buffet for middle aged women who haven't bothered to crack a book in the last 10 years. Which breaks my heart. Seriously, there are so many amazing books out there. I'm not even talking about ancient boring stuff, come over to my place and I will gladly make you a list of every amazing book I've read within the last year. Books that don't contain more filler than ACTUAL plot, with characters that are relatable and not annoying as hell, books that were written out of actual passion for writing rather than making a quick buck. [*cough cough* stephanie meyer is a money whore *cough cough*] Try opening The Lovely Bones, My Sister's Keeper, or She's Come Undone, just to name a few.

I am fully aware that I sound like a book snob. I am one. But I swear, Twilight has become the next political agenda being shoved down my throat every time I turn around. I respect that you have the right to think it's the bomb, but that means you have to respect my right to say hell no, it's not. Anyways. Wow this was long, but I needed to get it off my chest lol.

No comments: