Wednesday, November 18, 2009

When You're Not Being Funny

I just had to write another rant tonight. It seems that lately people have just been having no issue making fun of things that just...aren't...funny. Like downs' syndrome people. Making fun of them, or any mentally challenged person, isn't funny. I can understand if you say "that's retarded" once in a while, I do it sometimes too. But I try to limit my use of that word.

Normally, I can tolerate the seizure/epilepsy jokes. I'm not gonna be able to stop them and usually I just shrug it off and chalk it up to a bit of ignorance. But to be perfectly honest, it's really not funny. Epilepsy and seizures in general are a scary thing, and I am speaking from experience. I'm one of the lucky ones, I don't have grand mals and my seizures are controlled by meds. But still, you sound like an IDIOT when you're like "durrrr he's shaking like he's got a seizure" and then you start making strange facial expressions and making your whole body shake. What part of that is funny to you? It's not funny, it's more than a little insulting.

Again, it's not that I don't understand slip ups and it's not that I can't take a joke. It's just that once in a while this kind of stuff just gets under my nerves.

No comments: