Wednesday, August 26, 2009

First day of school review

Well, today was my first day of the new fall semester. In case anyone was wondering, (regarding my post at 2:16 this morning) I did not accomplish all of my to-do list. Here's how the day started:

I set my alarm for 830 and my clock is 10 minutes fast so it went off at 820. I really need to make my clock the actual time because when I hit the snooze I always go in my head "oh, I have ten more minutes than the actual time" so I end up being late. This time I decided to turn off my alarm. Thank God I ALWAYS set my phone alarm for fifteen minutes later than my actual wake up time in case I become stupid [as I was this morning] and do something like that. So I woke up at 8:45, giving me JUST enough time to check my Facebook [that IS a necessity, stop looking at me like that], shower and get dressed, and grab my water bottle before getting out the door to meet Katie at Scraft at 9:15. Yes, I work wonders.

So it wasn't bad enough that we had to park far away because there were no spots, it was also raining. Really hard. So we got soaked going into the building, only to find out that our teacher for Early US History is the worst person ever. He looks like a fat, pompous chipmunk. Well, he doesn't LOOK pompous, but he sure acts like it. I was like YOU ARE NOT AS GREAT AS YOU ARE PRETENDING TO BE. Plus he focuses on cheating way too much. Anyways.

Then I had another class from 5:30-8:30, Abnormal Psych. I have been waiting for this class since forever. I think I am really going to like it, but the first day was half horrible, and half okay.

Before I launch into that story [this is going to be a very long blog post] let me just say that while I'm very loud and social around the people I know and am comfortable around, when I meet new people or am put in a new situation, my social anxiety starts to kick in. I'm incredibly shy and I'm afraid that I come off as really standoffish. So the first day of class is always one of those types of situations.

For some reason, my teachers always seem to delight in doing those stupid ice breaker things. My abnormal psych teacher seemed to take it to the next level. Instead of just having us go around the room and say three facts about us [which is bad enough] he decided that he wanted everyone to have two minutes with everyone in the room. We had to meet each person in the room individually. And we didn't do it in an organized fashion. Everything was a giant cluster. It was insane. Of our 3 hour class, 2 hours and 45 minutes of it [No, I'm not exaggerating- it was literally that long] was spent doing this ice breaker. He made it a point to get around the room and talk to everyone, too.

He's a very nice guy, Mr. St. John, and I'm REALLY excited for his class. We aren't going to be having any tests, we'll be watching three movies, and learning all kinds of stuff that I'm excited to learn. GAH! Hahaa.

So I guess my first day wasn't too bad. Very long. It'll be a few days before I'm used to my busy schedule again. I got some really bad news before my night class, my grandpa Smallwood had a small stroke today. I don't know what classifies a stroke as small but it's still a stroke. Obviously I am hoping and praying for him to make a full recovery...everyone is. Any thoughts and prayers you have to offer his way or my family's way are greatly appreciated. <3

1 comment:

Mae said...

i told you! you should have taken alec's class cuz he's rly nice and funny and pretty!

lol