Friday, October 2, 2009

"Prozac Nation"

My most recent book that I've been reading is called "Prozac Nation" by Elizabeth Wurtzel. I borrowed the book from my cousin, Megan. It's a memoir about a girl who has been struggling with severe depression, among other things, since the age of 12 (she's 25) and is on all kinds of medicine, which she is less than thrilled about.

I've never really been a fan of memoirs, they usually just make me wonder why anyone would want to read the story of somebody else's life. But this book is actually really good. She doesn't try to sugar coat it, and tells her story about her problems with depression and suicidal ideations honestly. This book has some of the best quotes about depression and insanity and many other things that I've ever read. Sample time:

"That's the thing about depression: A human being can survive almost anything, as long as she sees the end in sight. But depression is so insidious, and it compounds daily, that it's impossible to ever see the end. The fog is like a cage without a key."

It speaks volumes that a human being can be so comfortable and forward about their depression that they can write about it like that. I can't wait to read the rest of this book, I highly recommend checking it out if you get the chance to.

Also, there's a movie. I think Mae and I should watch it; it looks like it could rival Girl, Interrupted. =)

No comments: